Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Quest for the Perfect BBQ Sauce



Okay so you're throwing a barbeque. Grocery store shopping list: hot dogs, burgers, steak, and the ubiquitous barbecue sauce. It comes in several flavors. Always kinda sweet. Always yummy. And always mysterious. What's in this elusive sauce? Can I make it myself? I'm on a quest to find out.

My quest for the perfect home made barbeque sauce started as I watched Super Chef Battle on food network. Emeril Lagase threw some magic ingredients in a pot and presto bbq sauce? what? I was floored!

1/3 cup vinegar1/2 cup molassas
1.5 tbl brown sugar
2 tsp Worcestershire
3 cloves garlic
2 tbl butter
1/2 tsp nutmeg

1) chop garlic fine
2) combine ingredients in sauce pan over low heat for 10 minutes or until flavors mature

So, this was good, not yet what I'd consider awesome. It was kinda a one tune show. I think that next time I'll try putting in a little honey or Dijon mustard and seeing if it gives it some more complexity.
A note from my lovely co-chef for the night, Elise:
What a great impromptu sauce! It soaked into the chicken we used beautifully, leaving us some moist morcels covered in a sweet and tangy glaze. I would definitely use this again. Additionally, it gave me the opportunity to practice spelling 'Worcestershire,' which is indeed an indispensable skill.

No comments:

Post a Comment