Monday, January 18, 2010

Asiago Cheese


As I begin to explore my palate in a more methodical and examining way, reminding of something that I have always known about my tastes - I like cheese. Hard, soft, sharp or mild, I like cheese. But if asked to name my favorites I jump to the standards Brie & Parmesan. This can't be right, can it? Can my favorite cheese be some of the most common cheeses out there? Can I even name any others? Or describe flavors and textures? These questions have led me to a simple conclusion: It's time to explore and pay attention :)

Asiago. /ɑːsiˈɑːɡoʊ/ (gotta love my IPA :p ) This Italian cheese originally hails from the province of Vincenza and apparently comes in a couple forms (according to my favorite source, Wikipedia), either fresh or aged. The fresh cheese being hard and smooth in texture and used for a variety of things from sandwiches to being melted in a dish. And then their is aged Asiago, or Asiago d'allevo. The flavor of the Asiago d'allevo is reminiscent of Parmesan and has a crumbly texture and used in salads, sauces, and pastas. The cheese that I've tried is of the former.

I wish I had decided to write this post before I disposed of the packaging, so I have no idea how the producer described their cheese - or even who the producer was.

I however was thrilled by the sharpness of the cheese and the small kick it has - my roomates were not please by its smell :) I enjoyed my Asiago melted over cauliflower and broccoli, sliced with prosciutto, and plain with crackers.

Overall a cheese that I would definitely recommend, and might even choose as a staple cheese to keep in my kitchen because of its wide variety of uses! I'm going to be sad when I finally finish this wedge.

No comments:

Post a Comment